Driving Safe is Driving Smart
Cartronix is committed to responsible use of technology in cars and trucks. We’re constantly engaging in technology on the road, yet we advocate for doing so in a safe and responsible manner. Distracted driving is something we can help you manage with our approach to the safe driving initiative. Check out the products and services we offer to keep drivers, passengers and pedestrians safe.
Statistics Don’t Lie
One of the most common concerns for safer driving is the back over accident. These are not just occasional; they happen far more often than imaginable. According to the leading driver safety advocacy group KidsandCars.org, each week 50 children are accidentally backed over. In that horrible statistic, 48 are hospitalized and two children die.
What is avoidable is how it happens. Over 70% of those incidents cite a parent or family member behind the wheel. In 60% of those incidents it involves a larger vehicle (such as an SUV, truck, van, etc.). A driver safety device installed by Cartronix can save lives.
Back Up Cameras
Backing up has inherent risks in most vehicles. There is a blind zone that often extends 20 feet or more and this is particularly common in larger vehicles such as SUVs and vans. Cartronix can mitigate the risk with the installation of a rear view camera system that activates whenever the vehicle is placed into reverse. Depending on your vehicle and what’s in the dash, we offer numerous options for cameras and viewing screens.
- Application-based cameras – An “application-based” back up camera is intended for a certain general use application in vehicles where there wasn’t a reverse camera option from the factory. They cover applications such as SUVs and hatchback cars, trucks with tailgates and high ground clearance, classic cars/hot rods, commercial vehicles, Class A and C RVs, as well as many other applications. All application-based back up cameras at Cartronix are rugged, weatherproof designs that exhibit excellent image resolution in both daylight and darkness. Our expert product specialists are able to demonstrate options for back up cameras that will work well with you make and model of vehicle.
- Factory-fit, vehicle-specific cameras – A “factory-fit” back up camera installs in the same location where the factory optioned camera installs, except your vehicle omitted that particular option at the time of purchase. These cameras function and install just like the factory option camera and are built to resist rain, snow and direct sunlight. If your vehicle did not come with a back up camera, yet it was available your make/model. In some vehicles, this is an ideal solution. In many vehicles, if the vehicle lacks the factory back up camera option, you can’t even add it at the dealership afterwards even if you wanted to. For these reasons, our expert product specialists at Cartronix can show you comprehensive solutions for factory-fit, vehicle specific cameras that are made just for your vehicle.
Viewing the Camera Image
A back up camera is only half of the driver safety solution. You’ll also need to consider how you’ll view the reverse camera image. Depending on what equipment is already in your vehicle and the availability of dashboard space, there are one or more solutions that we offer. Popular choices for viewing include:
- Use an aftermarket in-dash stereo with an LCD screen – such as many of our multimedia and navigation receivers.
- Use the factory in-dash LCD screen (if the vehicle already has one present).
- Use the rear view mirror with integrated LCD screen (either a factory-installed or aftermarket mirror).
- Use a separate, stand-alone LCD screen mounted in view of the driver.
Rear Parking Sensors
If your vehicle lacks a back up camera or you wish to have a supplemental reverse warning system, we install rear parking sensor systems that emit audible beeps when you approach obstructions in reverse. As the vehicle gets closer to the obstruction (parking curb, pedestrian, trees, other vehicle, etc.), the audible system beeps increase in frequency to indicate closer proximity. The rear parking sensors install flush in the rear bumper and look very much like the factory installed rear parking sensor systems. It’s a great way to add an audible warning to enhance safety while backing up, whether or not you have a back up camera.
Already Have a Back Up Camera or Sensors?
If your vehicle has a back up camera or sensors already, we can integrate these systems when changing the factory radio to one of our multimedia receivers from Alpine or other top brands. Our multimedia in-dash receivers feature audio and video inputs that will allow the functionality of factory safety equipment to be retained.
Lane Departure, Forward Collision and Blind Spot Warning
The newest technology in driver safety systems is lane departure warning (LDW), forward collision warning (FCW) and blind spot warning systems. These driver-friendly systems can be installed in privately-owned cars and trucks, but also in many commercial vehicle applications. Businesses that provide delivery, transportation services or other activities that put drivers on the road are ideal candidates to consider the benefits from lane departure, forward collision and blind spot warning systems. There are often commercial liability insurance savings incentives, too. At Cartronix, we offer these safety systems with our professional installation allowing your vehicle to have all the same safety features as the newest technology-equipped vehicles.
Hands-Free Calling via Bluetooth
Cellular phone use while driving is an inherent and common distraction that is easily avoided. At Cartronix, we offer Bluetooth hands-free calling solutions to help keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel. These allow you to wirelessly connect your smartphone to your car’s audio system and place or receive calls hands free. Sound from the call is delivered through the vehicle’s existing speakers. There’s a strategically placed, tiny microphone to pick up the sound of your voice. Many of our Bluetooth hands-free kits also work with voice commands (as long as your Bluetooth-enabled phone supports voice commands, such as Siri® on iPhone®). Bluetooth functionality can also stream audio wirelessly from your phone into the car’s audio system in one of our technology-equipped multimedia receivers. Visit our Car Audio page for more information.
We’re Here to Help With Your Driver Safety
Not sure what driver safety safety systems are available or what fits your vehicle? Need more information? No problem. Stop in at Cartronix and see us today. We’re open from 9am-6pm Monday-Friday and 9am-2pm on Saturdays. Or call us at (219) 548-2571 and schedule a no-cost consultation to discuss your vehicle and safer driving objectives.